So this week i just finished building my chicken coop (with a lot of help from my brother) so I can get chickens soon. Just for eggs not meat. Over the past two weekends we have gotten it 95% complete!
We found a coop we liked off Backyard Chickens and designed ours very similar.
Here’s some pictured through the process:
Testing the sturdiness. There are many ways to do this, my brother thought doing gymnastics on it was the best way. (it passed the test)
This was all the first weekend just the planning and frame.
Here is the second weekend, and where we are at the moment:
The window for light and ventilation, at this point I’m not putting a solid cover on this, just chicken wire. I don’t know if thats going to be good or bad but since we are in southern California and a very mild part I think it may be okay.? ( please share your thoughts on this!)
The side wall with the roost waiting to be installed
The big coop doors waiting to go up
The run door
And the coop to run door
(we almost forgot to make the ramp, that will be done next weekend)
The nesting boxes, we had a few problems with these and built them one and a half times but in the end they came out great!
(I have no idea what the puppy is staring at, haha)
That’s where we are at now! The yard has been cleaned up and the sawhorse put back together, haha.
This weekend I will be cleaning it out, putting linoleum in (for easy cleaning), and spray staining the outside!
I’m will also be going to Coopers hardware in Sylmar, CA this weekend to get my chicks! Just three! 🙂